Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Haifa's New ER at Rambam Hospital and Chemical Warfare

Providing Protection from Chemical Warfare
Nadene Goldfoot
In 1981 I fell down and broke my elbow after studying Hebrew all day and night for a big three hour long test that would seal my fate as to becoming an English teacher in Israel. I was taken to the Rambam Hospital in Haifa, where I was attending an ulpan. When I left the hospital, I took the test with a huge cast on my arm and even though I was running a fever, passed.

In the summer of 2006 the hospital was one of hundreds of civilian targets that were under fire by the terrorists in the 2nd Lebanon War.

Today they dedicated a new $14 million emergency facility that provides protection from missiles and chemical weapons that may be in Hizbullah's possession. The new emergency room includes a secure underground hospital for 1,730 patients, a children's hospital and facilities for cancer care and for cardiac treatment, and a tower for clinical research. when completed this ER will be more than three times larger than the previous facility. It will cover 3/4 of an acre with the ability to treat 650 patients at the same time. Prof. Rafi Beyar is the Rambam Health Care Campus Director.

The government provided 1/4 of the construction costs. Private donors and organizations provided the rest.

Reference: http://www.israelnationalnews.com/SendMail.aspx?print=print&type-0&item=134086 arutz sheva IsraelNationalNews.com

No comments: